The old Northfield Garage in Chagford is going to be demolished in the next week or two and with it a little bit of history slips away.
There has been a garage on the site for over a hundred years.
It was started by Thomas Fitzpatrick, a keen horseman who came to Chagford from Ireland in 1910 to ride with the Mid Devon Hunt.
He opened the garage soon after, catering for the new form of transport – the motorcar.
Thomas became an authority on Dartmoor, especially Dartmoor’s roads and lanes, and was also a member of the Dartmoor Mounted Home Guard during the Second World War.
Wilfred Fitzpatrick took over the running of the garage and Northfield Garage was later sold to Hilary Lewis who ran the garage with his wife Sally.