Prince William – New Blood for Duchy

Photo by Kelvin Boyes / Press Eye

Prince Charles is preparing Prince William to take over the role of running the Duchy of Cornwall, although there is no date for the handover yet.

The vast estate covers 130,000 acres in 23 counties, 700 farm tenancies, the Oval Cricket ground in South London and 20,000 acres on Dartmoor.

In a two-part ITV documentary to be screened this month, Prince Charles has said: “It is time for new blood.” The interview is to mark the 50th anniversary of his becoming Duke of Cornwall, and Prince Charles has said that Prince William is a regular visitor to all parts of the Duchy.

Prince William, who also takes part in the documentary, says he has no radical plans for the estate. The Duchy of Cornwall has been owned and run by the heir to the throne since the 1300s.

Alistair Martin, the keeper of records for the Duchy, confirmed that Prince William, 37, is preparing to take over the role from his father, saying William is playing an increasingly major role in Duchy affairs and had been since he was 21.

The first part of the two-part documentary is on ITV at 9pm on Thursday, 24th October. The documentary is a behind-the-scenes glimpse into the Duchy.

Talking of Prince William, Prince Charles said: “He’s quite lucky because I found myself there at 21. I had a bit of a baptism of fire, really. He goes and visits different parts of the Duchy of Cornwall, and so he is learning, I hope, as time goes by.”

Laura White

Author: Laura White

Share This Post On

Submit a Comment